Saturday, October 22, 2011

Are sulphates really the enemy?

Upon starting a Hair Journey you learn pretty quickly that some ingredients are wonderful for your hair and others are to be avoided like the plague. These ingredients tend to be the ubiquitous petrolatum and mineral oil. You also hear about shampoos containing sulphates, some also talk about staying away from cones.

I wholeheartedly agree with petrolatum and mineral oil which seal the hair and prevent it from absorbing moisture. Silicones, I never thought much about until I realised that I made no progress in 2011 from heavy uses of cones such as dimethicone. Sulphates, I stayed away from because I heard how bad they were. Until my cone incident when I desperately needed something to remove the build up from my hair. I turned to the Tresemme Deep Cleansing Shampoo. To be completely honest, I was terrified that it would strip my hair of all moisture, but I was desperate.

Instead of being left with hair looking like straw, I was surprised to be left with hair that definitely felt clean without feeling dry. My wonderful experience made me run out and get a regular shampoo from Tresemme. I ended up with the Tresemme Naturals Moisture Shampoo which has low sulphates. I washed with it and my hair loved it. I added the silcone-free Conditioner and my hair felt smooth and silky, the feel I get when I have freshly relaxed my hair. My hair has never felt like that anytime after I am 2 weeks post. I am a convert. I am no longer anti-sulphates.

I believe I now have a set regimen. I will be sticking with this regimen until December when I will reassess and review my hair's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments.