Sunday, November 20, 2011

Product Review: Organic Root Stimulator Carrot Oil

I was first introduced to this product in 2006 by a hairdresser who almost had a fit when I told her I never deep conditioned my hair and I rarely moisturised. These were the days when hair journey was not a part of my vocabularly and I was completely ignorant of the need to create a hair care regimen. I started using this product and deep conditioning and was having success with my hair until I had a traumatic breakage incident.

Two years later, when I finally started my hair journey after braiding my hair for two years during the regrowth process, I remembered this product and began using it as my daily moisturiser. I had no real complaints, I rather loved the product. I stopped using it and switched to S-Curl and Wave Nouveau because I saw girls such as Sunshyne from Hairlista raving about it. In those early days of my HJ I truly believed that it was products that grew your hair and so I wanted to use everything that the girls with long hair were using. This didn't quite work for me and so now I am back to my old friend.

ORS Carrot Oil has a really lovely colour which reminds me of custard, a dessert from my childhood days which is really popular in Trinidad. It has that yellow, creamy consistency and looks good enough to eat! The scent is mild but it is distinct. You are either going to not mind it or hate it. I don't mind it but I have read reviews in which ladies could not tolerate it. That being said, it is mild and you don't smell it once it is in your hair.

What I like about the product is that a little goes a long way. I use it to moisturise the length of my hair, paying particular attention to the ends. I then seal with coconut oil although coconut oil is the third ingredient in the product. It is a light product which does not weigh down your hair unless you are quite heavy handed with product as I tend to be. It is non-greasy and imparts your hair with a lovely shine.

My hair is very fine so I don't go more than 2 days without washing my hair or I find that my hair gets weighed down by daily moisturising and sealing even if I go at it with a relatively light hand. I usually moisturise at night, put my hair in two bantu knots and in the morning, I can take out the bantu knots and have pretty waves. I find that my hair keeps that well moisturised feel for the entire day.

Here is the listing of the ingredients:

Water (Aqua) , Glycine Soja Oil (Soybean) , Cocos Nucifera Oil (Coconut) , Sorbitol , Isopropyl Palmitate , PEG-25 Hydrogenated Castor Oil , Cetearyl Alcohol , Sodium Cetearyl Sulfate , Cetyl Esters , Lanolin , Carthamus Tinctorius Oil (Safflower) , Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil , Daucus Carota Sativa Seed Oil (Carrot) , Glyeryl Linoleate , Dimethicononl Methionine , Urtica Dioica Extract (Nettle) , Cholesterol , Dimethicone , Fragrance , Benzyl Salicylate , Cinnamic Alcohol , Citronellol , Coumarin , Eugenol , Geraniol , Hexyl Cinnamal , Hydroxycitronellal , d-Limonene , Linalool , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Carbomer , Methylparaben , Imidazolidinyl Urea , BHT , Triethanolamine , Propylparaben

The product is mineral oil and petrolatum free which is great as I do not use these products. It does contain some dimethicone which is an ingredient I have had trouble with and which caused my set back. I am not too concerned because that ingredient is listed right before the fragrance, so it must have a very little quantity and in any case, I am now using a light sulphate shampoo. All in all, I am in love with this moisturiser and will not be reaching for any other.

1 comment:

  1. I really love the ORS carrot oil. I relax my hair every 6 months. Everybody's hair is different. When my new growth starts, my scalp is so sore sometimes. I use the ORS carrot oil on my scalp and oh what a relief. Its like my scalp says, "Thank you " and my roots suck up the carrot oil like water to a plant. It gives my scalp and roots instant relief. This is a great product.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments.