Thursday, November 17, 2011

Product Review: TRESemmé Naturals Moisture Shampoo

TRESemmé Naturals Moisture Shampoo

I bought this shampoo and matching conditioner set because I found that sulphate-free shampoos were not cleansing my hair as well as I wanted. I am still unsure if I will continue the sulphate route as I know that they can be stripping to the hair.

According to the TRESemmé website:

  • Formulas with USDA certified organic Aloe Vera and Avocado, hydrate hair naturally and protect against breakage and damage.
  • Hair will feel 10X stronger after just one use.*
  • Our natural formula will improve the vitality and health of your hair, leaving hair incredibly soft and healthy looking.

The TRESemmé Naturals Moisture Shampoo is described on the bottle as being lower in sulphates which was the selling point for me. The shampoo has a light, fruity scent which is pleasant.

The ingredients are as follows: Water (Aqua), Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Lauryl Glucoside, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Sodium Lauroamphoacetate, Fragrance (Parfum), Hydroxypropyl Methylcellulose, Ammonium Chloride, Propylene Glycol, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Dipropylene Glycol, DMDM Hydantoin, Citric Acid, Persea Gratissima (Avocado) Oil, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Quaternium-80, Bisamino PEG/PPG-41/3 Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone, Disodium EDTA, Alcohol, PEG-18 Glyceryl Oleate/Cocoate, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polyquaternium-7. USDA Certified Organic Extracts: Aloe Vera, Sweet Orange, and Avocado

I first used this shampoo when my hair was suffering from severe build up and was in need of moisture and protein. My first impression after shampooing my hair was that my hair felt like I had just relaxed it. I was at least 14 weeks post at this time. It was incredible that my hair had that just relaxed feeling! Another thing I noticed was that while my hair felt clean, it also felt moisturised. It definitely did not feel stripped of moisture. I am just a few days post-relaxer but I definitely still have that just relaxed today feel. It is definitely going to be a staple in my regimen unless I decide to go back to the non-sulphate route.

There are just a few things that I do not like about this shampoo. Given that it is touted as a "natural line" I was a bit unhappy that the natural ingredients are at the bottom of ingredients listing which means that the product barely contains any of these ingredients. I also realised that the shampoo also contains "Aminoethyl PG-Propyl Dimethicone." This concerns me a bit as I had a run in with dimethicone. I am still trying to figure out whether this cone in this formulation is water soluble or not. In any case it is listed low down in the list. In my cone drama my products had dimethicone listed in the first 2-5 ingredients.

All in all, I would still say this has been a pretty good product for my hair and I will keep using it as long as my hair maintains the freshly relaxed feel and look.

1 comment:

I love reading your comments.